About Nurture Scotland
Nurture Scotland has been established by Trustees and Staff who are professionals with personal experience of fostering and kinship caring. We can empathise with carers and we have the knowledge and skills to assist Kinship Carers and their families to care effectively. It is now almost universally accepted that the best type of care for looked after children is care that is fully integrated within the living and working community, where everyone concerned lives in a family setting – Kinship Care.
Kinship Carers have an extremely important role that is increasing in complexity and is inevitably becoming more regulated. Kinship Carers tend to become carers unexpectedly and at a time of crisis. This can make them feel isolated and lack confidence. Nurture Scotland is here to assist Kinship Carers in their demanding role. We are here to support Kinship Carers and their families to welcome and help successfully integrate cared for children and young people into their homes and communities.
Supporting Kinship carers to look after children and young adults.
- One to one support and emotional support
- Advice on carers’ rights and benefits
- Attend formal meetings (children’s hearings, etc.)
- Help with correspondence, letters, telephone calls and emails.
- Awareness raising on issues.
- Training and Workshops for Carers, their families and looked after children and young people.
- Provide the support for individual carers to have a voice and be heard.
- Ensure that carers are able to make informed choices based on unbiased information.
- 24 hour support and advice service.
- We operate an open referral system and accept requests for support from any source including self-referrals.
At Nurture Scotland we know the importance and benefits of providing an otherwise disadvantaged child or young person with a secure, loving and nurturing home.
We are confident we can support carers to become empowered to provide looked after children and young people an environment that will allow them to grow into valued members of the community.
Based on our experience, we strongly believe that by offering support and training to Kinship Carers we are contributing to the wellbeing of the looked after child or young person.
We aim to support Kinship Carers in nurturing these children and young people in a safe environment that will lead to them fulfilling the aims of the GIRFEC approach by becoming successful learners, effective contributors and responsible citizens.